Part of running a successful plumbing business is to show up in the local online searches to attract high-intent clients, convert qualified leads and keep the cash flowing.
But how do you get your business on top of the search engine listings the moment prospects look for plumbing services as quickly as possible?
This is when local search engine optimization (SEO) comes into the picture.
Local SEO is a crucial part of digital marketing that enables prospects to easily find your services with ease. A 2022 BrightLocal consumer survey says that 81% of prospective clients used Google to look for and evaluate local businesses.
However, showing up in Google local search is not a walk in the park. With thousands of local plumbers competing to get featured in Google searches, you will need the right local SEO strategy to succeed. Here are some interesting stats to contemplate:
- 46% of all the total Google searches originate from prospects looking for business in the local area (city, county, state).
- 78% of people using their mobile devices to search for services within a specific location often end up purchasing.
What is Local SEO and Why Do Plumbers Need It?
Local SEO helps optimize plumbing websites to appear on search engine results, especially on Google’s local 3-pack, when people search for plumbing services using city or location-specific keywords.
Think of it as the advanced version of the “Yellow Pages.”
Unlike other digital marketing strategies, local SEO is a powerful tool that optimizes your website for local searches. Not only it reduces the competition in your local area but also makes it easier for you to rank higher in Google search results and show up on local map listings. So when potential clients require plumbing repair, you stay in front of them whenever they need your services.
How to Improve Your Local Search Engine Rankings
Local SEO is no rocket science. To help you succeed, we rounded up 7 easy and helpful steps to help you boost your local search engine rankings.
- Conduct Keyword Research
To get started with local SEO, you need to perform thorough keyword research to help you identify the most common search terms used by your target customers when looking for products/services like yours. Be sure to incorporate relevant keywords throughout your website, including in your title tags, headings, and content body.
Here are a few tips to help you find the right keywords:
- Long-tail keywords
A keyword phrase with 3 or 4 words strung together to describe specifically your products or services. For instance, “plumber in Beaches, Toronto.” Using this long-tail keyword to target a specific keyword and location increases your likelihood of ranking higher on search engines.
- Free and paid keyword programs
These enable you to research and analyze relevant keywords and their monthly search volumes. Google AdWords Keyword Planners, Moz’s Keyword Explorer, and Wordstream’s Free Keyword Tool are some of the best keyword research programs that can provide you with helpful ideas on which related keywords to target.
- Local Rankings
Part of conducting thorough keyword research involves checking your local rankings. Whitespark or BrightLocal can help you see your ranking position for your target keywords in your city or town.
- Create a Google My Business Profile
Google My Business (GMB) is a free listing that enables many businesses to get featured in Google’s Local Pack.
To create your GMB profile:
- Sign in with your Google account at https://www.google.com/business/.
- Input the name, address, and phone number of your business.
- Select the category that best fits your business.
- Add images of your business, products, or services.
- Verify your listing by postcard or phone
- Optimize for Mobile
54.8% of the total internet traffic around the world comes from mobile devices. Suppose your website is not optimized for mobile devices, not only miss our opportunities but also increase your website’s bounce rate, which results in poor SEO results.
Additionally, mobile-friendliness is a significant ranking factor in Google. Ranking unoptimized websites in the local search results may seem impossible. Right from the start, it is beneficial to work with a trusted Toronto website development company.
You can use the Mobile-Friendly Test to check how mobile-friendly your website is and improve the mobile experience for your target audience. Here are a few things to check to ensure a positive experience:
- Loading speed of your web pages
- Easy-to-read content on mobile device screens
- Easy to locate and click buttons and links
- Responsive website that can adjust to any screen size
To ensure the mobile-friendliness of your website, hire a web design agency to help you design a website that satisfies user experience.
- Create and Publish Fresh, Engaging, Relevant Content
Writing and publishing fresh, relevant, and keyword-rich content (blog posts, informative articles, product descriptions) that engages readers is among the most effective ways to boost your Google rankings. The more relevant your content is, the higher your chances of ranking on page 1 of Google. Do not forget to include your local area in your content.
- Spend Time Building Local Links
Link-building helps your plumbing business acquire backlinks (having other trusted websites link back to your website). Like mobile-friendliness, quality backlinks are another crucial ranking signal. The more high-quality links pointing back to your website, the higher your rank in Google will be.
Here are some helpful tips to build links:
- Writing guest posts for other quality websites related to the plumbing industry.
- Encouraging clients to link to your website
- Getting involved in online communities
- Listing your business in online directories and listings.
- Generate Customer Reviews
Encouraging your clients to leave you reviews for your business is another key to boosting your search engine rankings. As one of the essential Google ranking factors, obtaining more positive reviews for your business helps ensure higher Google rankings.
Here are several helpful ways to generate customer reviews for your plumbing services:
- Politely ask your customers to leave a review for your services
- Link your GMB listing in your email signature
- Entice your clients with an incentive when they leave a review
- Be sure to take time to respond to all customer reviews, both positive and negative. By doing it, you show your potential clients that you are active and that you care about their feedback.